How to Optimize OnlyFans: A Complete Guide
OnlyFans is a content creation platform that allows you to charge a monthly fee for your fans to subscribe, follow, and view your content.
It is most commonly used for nude/sexual content, but it is also used by beauty influencers, athletes, comedians, musicians and more.
Put simply, if you create content, and people are willing to pay for it – you should be on OnlyFans!
Assuming you already are, this guide will show you how to optimize OnlyFans in order to be as attractive as it can be to possible subscribers, to earn as much money as you can, and to get your account ready for our further guides on how to promote your OnlyFans page and earn more money than ever.
If you follow this guide, and then branch out in to our other more in-depth posts, there is only one other thing needed – consistency.
By working hard, posting daily, and sticking to the tips shown on this site, success in OnlyFans is guaranteed.
But first, let’s start with the basics:
What is OnlyFans?
The simplest way to think of OnlyFans is as a cross between a social media site like Instagram, and a paid content site like Patreon.
If you sign up to OnlyFans and start posting content, however, you can set a subscription rate – and anyone who wants to view your content will need to pay monthly for that privilege.
While OnlyFans isn’t specifically created for explicit or sexual content – and many creators sell more PG content – the site has a much more relaxed approach to sexual content and nudity than the likes of Instagram and Snapchat, making it a popular home for models and sex workers.
Creators love OnlyFans because it allows them to get paid for doing what they love.
Subscribers love OnlyFans because it allows them access to unique, exclusive content that they would likely never see elsewhere.
As a result, how to become popular on OnlyFans is one of the questions we get asked most regularly.
But what should you do with it?
What is OnlyFans Used For?
It’s pretty common these days to wonder how to use OnlyFans.
As mentioned above, the platform has grown in popularity with models and sex workers.
The combination of a paywall, private content and no rules against nudity make them an ideal home for such creators, but other creators that have found success within OnlyFans include:
- Singer songwriters
- Bollywood actresses
- Fitness trainers
- Professional gamers
- Makeup artists
There is no real limit to what you can do within the platform, and if you create something people want to see and stick to proven growth strategies, a consistent growth in income is all but guaranteed.
How Much Does OnlyFans Cost?
For every payment an OnlyFans creator receives, 20% goes to the company and 80% goes to the creator.
In other words, if your monthly subscription is $10 and I sign up, OnlyFans get $2 and you get $8.
Every creator gets a referral link, however, and if a new creator signs up with your referral link, you get 5% of their earnings forever.
What’s even better is this 5% comes from OnlyFans’ cut and the creator’s earnings are unaffected.
This means that if you’re planning on signing up for OnlyFans, you should probably use somebody’s code! And once you’re signed up, if any of your friends want to join, you should give them your code.
If you’re looking to sign up for OnlyFans and don’t have a referral code to use, you can feel free to use ours:
How Much Can You Make from OnlyFans?
This is one of the most popular questions we get asked for obvious reasons, and the honest answer is the sky is the limit.
It’s impossible to give a 100% accurate answer, because there are so many variables involved, such as:
- Your subscription price
- Your social media following
- How well optimized your account is
- Your style and how well your followers fit with that
However, it is possible to find extreme success in OnlyFans and literally make yourself for life.
Danni Harwood is one of the most successful OnlyFans creators ever, and at one point she earned over £1 million in just under 18 months!
Obviously we have to be reasonable in our expectations though, and even if you’re unbelievably attractive, photogenic, and skilled at content creation, you can’t just sign up for OnlyFans and earn that sort of money immediately.
Typically, you can expect about 1-3% of your social media audience to become OnlyFans subscribers.
This of course isn’t 100% accurate, and can increase or decrease depending on who your social media followers are and how much they engage with you already. However, it’s a pretty accurate guide most of the time, especially when first signing up to OnlyFans.
In other words, if you have 100 followers, you can expect around 1-3 subscribers.
If you have around 1,000 followers, you can expect around 10-30 subscribers, and so on.
This may sound like a relatively low number now, and if you sign up for OnlyFans today and only get 1-3 subscribers in the first month, you might feel a little disheartened.
However, the key is consistency.
If you post regular great content to your OnlyFans, those subscribers will stay.
If you regularly market your OnlyFans on your social media accounts, more people will sign up.
If you regularly work on growing your social media, your followers will grow rapidly.
By doing all of this consistently, 3 subscribers can become 30, can become 300, can become 3,000!
It doesn’t necessarily even take as long as you’d think – we met our friend the beautiful Angelina Pappeli on the 5th of June 2020. At the time she had 150 Instagram followers and 1 OnlyFans subscriber.
As of the 30th July 2020, Angelina was on 2,700 followers and 30 subscribers!
All from sticking to our tips and proven strategies, putting the work in, and posting consistently. If you extend that growth out, and assume Angelina will continue to boost her followers in the same way, the 1%-3% subscriber rate will always be the case, meaning her income will grow for as long as she continues to put the work in.
It’s not unreasonable or impossible that she could reach 300 subscribers in 2020.
Our goal with this site is to give you all of the knowledge you need in order to achieve the same and more – all you need is dedication, consistency, and the willingness to learn, and the increases will keep coming.
Enough on that – time for the basics!
If you’ve recently signed up to OnlyFans, this should be the first guide you follow.
We will show you how to optimize your OnlyFans account for growth, and our other guides on topics such as “how do you get more followers in OnlyFans” will show you exactly how to achieve that growth!
Let’s jump right in with the basics:
How to Have a Successful OnlyFans Account
Since OnlyFans is a numbers game, at the most basic level, what you need to do is get as many people as possible to be made aware of your content.
A certain percentage of people will always be willing to sign up, so the more people are aware of you, the more subscribers you can get.
Of course, by targeting the correct people who are more likely to be interested in your content, you can increase that percentage dramatically.
But before even worrying about that, you need to ensure your OnlyFans account (and social media) is set up properly and optimized to convert as many people as possible into subscribers. Fail to do this and you could end up drawing people in and turning them away at the last moment because something about your page was unclear.
OnlyFans can be quite a bare and simple site when you first sign up too, which can be intimidating if you don’t know your way around.
Let’s start there:
Finding Your Way Around OnlyFans
When you first set up your creator account, you’ll have access to the following tabs:
- Posts is where you can view all of your own content
- Photos show your picture content specifically
- Videos shows all of the videos you’ve previously posted
- Audio shows your audio recordings (if you’ve posted any)
- Likes shows your total amount of likes on all of your content
- Fans simply allows you to keep track of your amount of subscribers
The “post options” section is the most important here as it allows you to do all of the following:
- Post a status update. This can be teasing new content for example “can’t wait to show you my new image set later!”
- Record your voice. This is a strange one that most people don’t use, but some fans love to hear you talk to them in your own voice. Of course if you have the confidence, it can also be a place to get your r/GoneWildAudio on!
- Add a poll. Pretty self explanatory, this allows you to set a vote and get your subscribers opinion. This is a great way to see what sort of content they want to see and learn what they think of your past content. You should check in with a poll once in a while to ensure your content strategy is aligned with what your subscribers want, as this will increase your subscriber retention.
- Set a post expiry date. This allows you to post temporary content that disappears after a set time (think Snapchat).
- Schedule posts. This is gold to an OnlyFans creator because consistency is key and a few days without posting can potentially lead to a bunch of subscribers leaving. Creating content ahead of time and scheduling posts is the easiest way to keep content coming, especially if you’re busy with other work or on vacation.
- Add a price to a post. This is only available if your subscription price is set to free, and not available on text posts. This means free subscribers need to pay to see the exclusive content and can’t just see everything.
How to Sign Up to OnlyFans
The very first step of signing up for OnlyFans is going to the homepage and Signing Up via the form shown above.
Once you have signed up, you’ll be given the main creator homepage with all of the above options.
The very first thing you need to do at this stage is set up your profile by adding the following details:
- Username is self explanatory, although something titillating and/or something that sums up who you are and your content is always a good idea, if possible.
- Display name is just a more tidy version of your username that can include spaces etc.
- Cover Image and Profile Photo are also pretty simple, however, remember these are visible even to non subscribers who look at your OnlyFans profile. So don’t put anything too explicit or anything you want people to pay for!
- Subscription Price is one of the most important thing you’ll set, but it will be blanked out at this stage as we haven’t connected your bank account yet. More on that shortly!
- Your Bio Section is where you can tell people what they can expect to see if they subscribe. Be as descriptive and accurate as possible here. The last thing you want is for somebody to wonder if you offer something specific, and then click off, unsure – especially if you do offer that service! The more detail about what you offer the better as it both avoids this and serves to help sell people on your content. If you don’t know what to enter here, just start with something simple like “Daily Content Uploads”, “Custom Content”, “Requests and Interaction”, etc.
Below the above sections you’ll also find some less important fields such as your Spotify Account and website URL. The only one that’s really important here is the Amazon Wishlist. Some people would rather give you money directly and will probably never look at it. But certain people will love the idea of sending you gifts,and why take that away from them? Even if it’s months before you get anybody to send you anything, there is no reason not to add this and to keep your wishlist updated.
Once you’ve filled in the above, it’s time to Save Changes and move on to adding your bank account.
Chances are you’ll come back here to change some stuff in the future, but it’s still important to get all the info as accurate as you can at the start, as an empty page is likely to cause people to just click away immediately.
Now let’s take care of the part that lets you earn money!
How to Connect a Bank Account to OnlyFans
The first thing you need to do is go back to the “Subscription Price” section and click on “Add a bank account”.
From here you will need to submit some personal details and take photos of your passport, driving license or similar document for OnlyFans to confirm your identity.
We have had numerous clients and friends get rejected at this stage despite having 100% accurate information – for some reason OnlyFans are quite picky about this stage.
We have found that adding an About section, linking a Twitter account, and adding a URL all dramatically increase your chances of being accepted, so we would recommend ensuring all of the above is done before submitting anything.
Once accepted, you can go to the very top right button in OnlyFans, then click “Add Bank” on the dropdown menu.
From here you can finally add your bank information as well as decide on how you would like to be paid:
Direct Transfer is the quickest way to get paid and allows you to withdraw any amount above $20, making it the best option by far. However, it only works with VISA or VISA debit cards. If you have one, go for this option.
International Bank Transfer takes longer and you can only withdraw amounts above $200, but unfortunately you’re stuck with this if you don’t have a VISA. Luckily it’s not a big deal, and if you’re following our guides you’ll be hitting $200 rapidly.
These are the most common options but different countries do have slightly different options, so if you’re unsure what to go for, you can contact us at any time for free advice.
Want to stay on top of the game and get FREE regular OnlyFans marketing tips and growth strategies straight to your inbox? Sign up for our free email tips now!
Now, it’s time to set your Subscription Price:
Setting Your Monthly Subscription Price
First, go to “Edit Profile”, then go to “My Profile”.
By default, your subscription price will be set to free, but you can now set it to whatever you like.
It’s a good idea to start at around $10-15 and then offer discounts from time to time, taking you down to $5-8 to attract more people.
Over time you’ll learn your sweet spot for pricing, and there are a few strategies people employ:
Free OnlyFans: This is of course the quickest way to get subscribers and your subscriber rate will likely be much higher than the 1-3% mentioned above. Of course, this also means you won’t get money from every subscriber, so you’ll need to post paid posts and offer a lot of custom content in order to turn these subscribers into income.
High priced OnlyFans: This is basically the direct opposite strategy. If you think your content is of a high enough quality to be worth it, you can charge $30-50 a month or even higher. The downside of this is less subscribers and potentially less subscriber retention if people don’t think the content is worth it, but the upside is that you don’t need as many subscribers to make some good money.
Combination of Free and Paid OnlyFans Accounts: A great idea employed by some content creators, this involves making one free account and using that to get as many followers as possible and market your premium account, where the much better quality content is available at a price.
These strategies can all work for different people, and which is best for you may depend on your content and audience.
However, you don’t have to decide now – just start at an affordable price as mentioned above and optimize as you go on.
A high price can turn people off subscribing and may actually lead to making less money in the long term, however.
For example, $10 a month may seem low, but it only takes 500 subscribers for that to be $4000 a month in profit after OnlyFans take their cut. Not too shabby at all!
Now that your account is fully set up, you’ll want to know how to begin earning and getting more subscribers.
We will bring more in depth posts on these topics soon, including:
- How to get more instagram followers
- How to get more twitter followers
- Using other creators to boost your subscribers
…and many, many more!
However, we will take you through some initial tips now to get you off to a good start:
How to Make More Money on OnlyFans
The first thing you want to do is get to work on content and post a decent amount of it.
After all, if a subscriber signs up and sees one or two photos or videos, they will likely be disappointed and/or get bored quickly, and you won’t see them for a second month.
Your primary goal at this stage should be to get a lot of unique and varied content up there to keep them busy and give new subscribers something to spend time looking at.
Subscribers can also see your post count at the top of your profile, and the last thing you want is for that to be something like “4 posts, 3 photos”. They will likely disappear for good!
However, regular, consistent content is crucial too.
If you just create a large amount of content up front but then slow down, it might work initially – but eventually people will have seen everything and get bored.
This is why we talk about “retention”. How well you retain your subscribers translates directly into increase income.
Let’s say for example the amount of subscribers you gain each month is constantly increasing, but the amount of subscribers leaving/not subscribing for a new month is constantly increasing too.
This is just like standing still, as most of the new money you’re winning is only temporary.
It’s crucial to improve your subscriber retention by doing everything you can to keep existing subscribers happy and looking forward to the next month.
This could mean any or all of the following strategies:
- Responding to DMs, offering custom requests and talking directly to your subscribers, making them feel valued. Thanking people for renewing, especially long term subscribers, can be a great way to do this.
- Posting content consistently but especially when people’s auto-renewal dates are looming
- Referencing future content to make people curious and want to see it, for example “going to try being a little more adventurous with some new costumes and toys next month!”
- Loyalty discounts e.g. “get 40% off this month if you have subscribed for the past 3 months!”
- Bonuses/free exclusive photos for people with auto-renew set to “on”. You can also hint to this at the end of the previous month to keep people interested.
- Contests, raffles, polls on future content, competitions and other things to make your subscribers feel directly involved
The benefit of doing this, and doing it right, is simple – you can make the rate at which people cancel their subscriptions be slower than the rate at which people sign up, or at least as close to that as possible.
The end result is income that reliably increases each month, and will continue to do so for as long as you put in that work.
It’s not just about subscription fees!
When you first sign up and begin creating OnlyFans content, it’s likely that your attention will be focused on:
- Growing your social media following
- Getting as many of those followers as possible to become subscribers
- Using subscriber retention strategies to avoid losing these subscribers
As a result, it’s easy to forget that monthly subscription fees aren’t the only way to make money in OnlyFans.
You can use tips, paid content, custom requests and more to get paid even more regularly.
If you have your subscription set to free or a very low price, this may even be your primary avenue of income, but this doesn’t mean people with high monthly prices should ignore it either.
Let’s take a look at your options for making more money in OnlyFans outside of your monthly subscriptions:
How to Get More Tips in OnlyFans
Since this is a guide on optimizing and perfecting your OnlyFans profile and account, we don’t have the space to go fully in depth on these strategies, but we will do so in future guides specifically focused on boosting and growing your OnlyFans income.
However, since most people reading this guide are likely relatively new to the platform and looking to boost their income as quickly as possible, here is a brief rundown of the simplest and most successful tips for boosting OnlyFans tips:
Ask For Tips!
This one is maybe a bit obvious but you’d be surprised how many people don’t do it or feel a little awkward when they do.
Don’t be afraid to add things like “tip me if you enjoy the content!” at the end of posts.
You can likely increase the amount of tips you receive simply by doing that, and if you do so but don’t receive any tips? Maybe it’s time to ask your followers for feedback on your content and what would impress them more!
Set Up a Tip Menu
Tip Menus are something that originated from MyFreeCams and that you may be aware of from there.
This is simply where you post a list of extra things that you can offer along with the tip fee, and pin this post to the top of your OF feed for everybody to see.
To pin the post, just go to the menu icon on the top right of the post and click “Pin to your profile page”.
The benefit of this is:
- Subscribers who perhaps weren’t aware that you offered additional things are now definitely aware, increasing the percentage of people who purchase additional content
- Potential subscribers on your free profile or new subscribers who may be wondering if you offer a certain service or type of content, can now see it on the tip menu, encouraging them that they’re in the right place
- Subscribers are automatically reminded of tips every time they go on your profile
- Tip menus can massively cut down the amount of DMs you receive saying things like “can you do this?” or “how much for this?” saving you a lot of time and making those people send the money right away!
- If you’re selling something more educational as opposed to explicit (fitness routines, dietary tips, etc) then you can add digital products here, e.g. ebook downloads.
- You can add fun interactive games here too e.g. “$5 to spin the prize wheel” or “$10 for a raffle ticket” to get people interacting with you
Sell Custom Content
There will always be subscribers that want something from you that isn’t currently on your feed or tip menu.
Simply adding “DM me for custom content prices” or similar can invite those people to get in touch and send you extra money.
This could be a custom video of you doing and wearing something specific, saying the subscribers name, fulfilling their desires, etc, or it could be something much more innocent but still custom, such as your own workout routine or skincare regimen.
OnlyFans PPV Messages
You can also create slightly higher quality/more explicit content and mass message it to all of your subscribers as a PPV message.
Since this is only visible in people’s DMs and doesn’t appear on your feed, it’s completely invisible to non subscribers.
Locking this content and making people pay to view it is basically guaranteed to increase your income.
Alternatively you can use mass messages without the PPV aspect as a retention technique – for example by posting “all subscribers get a free video next week!”.
This is also a good strategy for grabbing the attention of casual subscribers who only check your feed once or twice a month – they will log in to a backlog of these messages, ensuring they don’t miss any of your past paid content.
Over the coming weeks, we will bring you more and more specific educational content, including in depth looks at how to use each individual social network to increase your subscribers, tips and income within OnlyFans.
We also offer managed growth, allowing experienced social media professional to take over your account, interact with fans, and speed up your development.
More on that in future posts, but it’s time to leave you with a few more useful tips to begin your OnlyFans journey off the right way:
OnlyFans Growth Tips
Once you’ve optimized your account perfectly, how do you get followers on OnlyFans?
Here’s our basic OnlyFans growth checklist for what to remember now that you’ve optimized your profile successfully:
Get a website
The type of website you’ll want depends on your content.
A regular blog can be a great way to gain traffic from Google and push it towards your OnlyFans content.
If you don’t want to maintain a blog or run a website, you can simply buy a domain and make it redirect to your OnlyFans account.
This makes your profile much easier to market online and you can even point backlinks to it or run paid ads in order to expose a higher amount of people to your content.
Interact with fans
If there is one thing you should take from this article, this is it.
People who pay for OnlyFans like to feel special, like they’re getting an exclusive window to content made specially for them, or a sneak peek at your life behind closed doors.
Fans who feel ignored, get bored quicker – and fans who feel valued, tip more, and subscribe for longer.
It’s really that simple!
Plan Content Ahead of Time
OnlyFans allows you to schedule posts for a specific time, meaning you should never be without content.
Instead of making content as and when you think of it and posting it immediately, create a large batch of content at the same time and schedule it for regular posting across the next week or month.
This keeps your feed busy until the next time you get chance to make content, keeps your fans happy while you’re on vacation, and even avoids the risk of you potentially forgetting to post some days due to being busy doing other things.
There are also tools that can do this for social media posts, allowing you to schedule your marketing and promotional efforts too, something that can be golden when you need a little time off but don’t want to sacrifice profits.
Want a more personal touch? We offer professional Instagram account management services, allowing us to grow your account and followers while you focus on creating OnlyFans content!
Consistency is key
Can you imagine how annoying it would be to pay for a month’s content and then 2 days later, find that the content creator stops posting?
That may be an extreme case that happens rarely, but new subscribers are always cautious to see whether they are going to get their money’s worth.
A few day’s silence can spook them for good, and a week without posting could lead to an exodus come the next renewal day.
Post every 2 days, without fail, and if you can’t manage that, see the previous tip.
Consistently is what drives consistent growth, and really isn’t optional if you expect to do well.
Use a Welcome Message
If you go to Settings > Chats > Welcome Message for New Fans, you can type out a message that will automatically get sent to every new subscriber.
This is a great way to welcome a new fan and set the tone for what follows, so we would recommend you:
- Thank them for signing up, potentially offering a discount for next month or a free image to help make them feel valued
- Refer to your tip menu and invite them to request custom content
- Use a friendly, social tone in the message that sounds like you’re actually messaging them personally
Always Invite Feedback & Listen to It
Do you regularly get asked for a specific type of content?
It’s probably time to add it to your tip menu!
Do people say your photos are blurry or need better angles?
Maybe it’s time to invest in a tripod, selfie stick and/or new camera!
Unfortunately human nature means you will probably get some bad, or potentially even mean feedback at some point.
But as long as you can tell that apart and ignore that type of person, the vast majority of feedback will come from genuine fans who want you to improve.
Since they’re the ones paying you money, and the people you want to keep happy in the long term, be sure to take note of it!
Just be aware, this doesn’t mean you should do anything you’re uncomfortable with!
The line will always be yours to draw.
How to Promote Your OnlyFans Account
Each social media network is a beast of it’s own, which is why we are planning individual posts on each social network going into how to promote OnlyFans there as effectively as possible.
However, here is a quick rundown of the most useful places to market your OnlyFans as of right now:
- Discounted Promotional Campaigns and Free Accounts are a good way to promote your OnlyFans account through OnlyFans itself
- Instagram and Facebook, despite being strict on explicit content, are a great way to interact with potential fans and use images, shoutouts or PPC ads to promote your account. Check out our guide on promoting OnlyFans in Instagram!
- Snapchat is full of people who like visual content and there are also a lot of great influencers you can use to push your account. Just ask to see a screenshot of their insights to prove that they get good engagement from people who would be interested in your content.
- Reddit gets a huge amount of traffic and is very relaxed about explicit content making it super useful. It even has subreddits specifically for this purpose. Other explicit subreddits can ban you for mentioning OnlyFans so do your research and approach each one differently.
- YouTube is a great way to get people to engage with you regularly and gain a lot of traffic, and you can easily add your OF link to your bio, driving more people to your content
- Twitter is extremely friendly regarding explicit content and is arguably the easiest place to get people to push your posts onto others thanks to the humble “Retweet”. It’s hashtags also make it very easy to make your posts visible to those who would be interested in them.
- Pornhub is one not many people think of – but it gets a tremendous amount of views, and most of those people are at their horniest with a lot of time on their hands. Posting snippets of your videos to Pornhub with text inviting people to go to your OnlyFans link to view the full video can be a huge driver of traffic to your page.
- Collaborations with other OnlyFans creators can be a powerful tool, essentially exposing their audience to your content, and vice versa.
We hope this guide to optimizing your OnlyFans account has been helpful! Sign up for our newsletter below to get regular tips and strategies straight to your inbox! Also don’t be afraid to contact us with any questions or troubles you might be having, or to discuss our low budget, high impact managed growth services!
Signed up and looking for tips on how to earn more? Check out our guide on how to promote OnlyFans here!